Monday, April 11, 2016

sick sick sick

For the past two weeks, we have been sick.  And by we, I mean the kids and I.  Dave was lucky enough to miss out on the fun.  One by one, we fell like dominoes.  First Sam, then me, and finally Katelyn came down with the flu.  Kate was so sick that she developed bronchitis and had to take antibiotics for a week.  It was terrible.

Thankfully, we had Dave to take care of us.  He was like a super hero running around fixing people hot chocolate and soup, cleaning and tackling laundry mountain, and running errands with the kids so that I could nap in peace.  And he did all this while working from home, answering emails, and fielding phone calls.  The only breaks he got were when we brought the sick and afflicted over to my parents' house where my mom took good care of us.

When we finally decided we were not contagious and no longer walking germ factories, we took the kids to Chick-fil-A to get everybody out of the house.  We met my mom for dinner and Dave bought kids meals for Sam and Kate.  After we ate, we traded the toys (which is always really lame at Chick-fil-A) for ice cream cones.  We thought the kids would be so happy to enjoy an ice cream treat.

But Sam had other ideas.  Sam just wanted to play in his dessert.  Instead of eating, he wanted to squish the ice cream between his chubby fingers and crush the cone in his little sticky fist.  This just had "Bad Idea" written all over it so I tried everything I could to keep him from making such a huge mess.  Finally, I had to take the cone away.  And Sam threw a fit.  So Dave took him out to the car while my mom and I cleared the table and got refills with Kate.

I came out of the parking lot to find my two guys sitting by the car like this, Sam with a triumphant look on his face and a sticky smooshed up ice cream cone in his hand.






Sam: 1   Mom and Dad: 0

No comments:

Post a Comment